January 21, 2012

Marky Mark Saves the Universe?

Just one of many...

[I know this isn't exactly the kind of passage I should be analyzing but I'm going to make it work.. and I couldn't resist]
        This short article (and corresponding slide show) is about Mark Wahlberg's comments about 9/11 that honked his own horn a little.... okay, a lot. These comments came out his mouth earlier in the week during an interview with Men's Journal when he seemed to "confuse himself with Chuck Norris" (Mustich 1). He said, referring to 9/11, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn’t have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, ‘OK, we’re going to land somewhere safely, don’t worry.’" I chuckled- that's pretty easy to say more than ten years after it happened.
       The author, Emma Mustich, seems to agree with me. She makes crazy comparisons (like the Chuck Norris one above) and uses negative diction when discussing the ordeal. She uses words like "insensitve" and "lightning-rod remarks" when describing his interview and "incredulity" when explaining its effects. (Mustich 1). Although he apologized profusely, the internet has exploded with memes and pictures mocking Wahlburg. Those "more notable examples of Wahlberg-inspired Internet art" are conveniently attacked to the brief article for the audiences entertainment. I think writing an article about something like this and attaching embarrassing edited pictures is only creating more of an outbreak of effects by informing a larger audience in such a negative way about this silly scandal instead of just forgetting about it. Whatever.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/19/marky_mark_saves_the_universe/

1 comment: