January 15, 2012

The Science of Getting Along

           This article was about studies of child psychology and how, and when, children develop the ability to cooperate. I found the article  for the most part extremely dry, and I love children and psychology. I thought it was a few interesting facts and explanations in between a bunch of over technical terms and bland filling.I think it would be more suitable for someone who has, or is, studying this subject in great detail. A parent or curious student like myself doesn't get too much out of the information.
          The author's audience at first seemed to be parents, but as I said earlier, I think this would go right over most of their heads. Sennet uses a lot of expert opinion in the article which can be used as ethos evidence. Some examples occurred usually at the beginning of each paragraph with statements like "The child psychologist Alison Gopnik observes..." and "The psychologist Jerome Bruner has emphasized the importance of such..." (Sennett 1). Although the article was about an interesting topic, I think it was dry, over-technical and hard to comprehend.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/15/how_we_learn_to_play_with_others/

1 comment:

  1. psychology is cool, so it stinks that this article was boring

    ReplyDelete