February 6, 2012

The Absurd Life of an Abercrombie and Fitch Model


            This article was about "how a regular guy stumble into a job of emaciated youths and anonymous six-packs" (Mccoy 1). This guys was "discovered" on the streets of New York and got hired to be an Abercrombie model and  gives his readers the inside scoop of what really goes on in the popular clothing store. He doesn't make it seem very fun and is extremely sarcastic. i don't have a personal comment on the article but I did find it quite amusing.
             This guy uses great descriptive skills. He describes the store as "Everything’s dark and loud and confusing. You half feel like you’re playing laser tag and half like you’ve bumbled onto a reshooting of “Eyes Wide Shut.” The cultural aesthetic of the store straddles all of these notions. It’s a confounding, bombastic and erotic slice of our American zeitgeist. Put another way: White people love it." (Mccoy 1). We all know the feeling. He describes the job as "crushingly boring". He is very sarcastic and just seems embarrassed by the whole thing. He says "This was related to the fact my pants weren’t tight enough. Weren’t tight enough by far. At Abercrombie, I cannot overstate the cultural impact of wearing very skinny jeans, then plunging a thumb into each front pocket. This stance is very important. If you haven’t tried it before, I suggest you do." (Mccoy 1). That's how to get on the Abercrombie shopping bags. He actually makes fun of the whole thing in his first paragraph. He writes "Hey, guys — what’s going on? I am Ambercrombie & Fitch. I model for them at their store in the financial district in New York City, but I also do way, way more. I can find different sizes for you if you need it, but if not — hey, that’s cool. No pressure. I can also muss with clothing. Oh, and did I mention that I can shimmy? I can shimmy and gyrate and smell good doing it. I am Ambercrombie & Fitch." (Mccoy 1). I thought the a story was well written and funny, and the author appeared to be a quite the character. 


http://www.salon.com/2012/02/04/the_absurd_life_of_an_abercrombie_fitch_model/

2 comments:

  1. blogging partners again? and same article choice? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commenting on all the articles, and laughing on how great minds think alike... haha.

    ReplyDelete