February 2, 2012

Superbowl Ads- with a slice of beefcake

           This article was about Superbowl commercials portraying women in an "unrealistic" way and how the only way companies seem to think they can capture peoples attention away from the game is to stick a half naked female model in the commercial. Now, I guess, according to this article, there are more articles that feature half naked MALE models to appeal to the female viewers. Personally, I don't see the big deal. According to this article, about 46% of superbowl viewers are female. Therefore I think it would be smart that ad companies start to gear at least some of their commercials towards women.Whatever, if people only pay attention when you wave a half naked model in their face, then go right ahead. You don't like it? Don't watch.
          The main audience of this article is women who wach the superbowl. Anyone could read it who feel that modern ads are depicting women as and "object" or in a "disrespectful" way. To support her thoughts, she gives examples of Superbowl commercials. She writes about a toyota commercial "Among its creations: a traffic cop who hands out speeding tickets but also invigorating massages, a motor-vehicles department where you can play pinball and get soft-serve ice cream, a blender that plays Lionel Richie, and of course, curtains made of out of pizza. But the real show-stopper is Toyota’s “reinvented couch.” A nebbishy man opens his front door to discover his furniture has been transformed into a row of bikini-clad beauties, no doubt just waiting for him to park his rear upon their collective lap. It’s your typical ad-agency-concocted dude fantasy, until the scene changes to a replica row — this time of seven six-pack toting guys and the announcement that “It also comes in male” — prompting the surprised homeowner to give a little shrug of approval." (Willaims 1). She also adds a lot of humor to the article. In the opening paragraph she writes "For starters, there’s Mr. Posh Spice, aka David Beckham, promoting his new line of bodywear for H&M. He flexes his numerous tattooed muscles to the tune of “Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood,” glowers in an “I mean business here” way that’s remarkably persuasive, and uh, I forget what I was talking about" (Williams 1). It sounds like someone is talking to me instead of me reading their writing.  


http://www.salon.com/2012/01/31/super_bowl_ads_now_with_more_beefcake/

2 comments:

  1. Ugh....people just like to write about everything or anything. I find it stupid to care about commercials, my eyes will be on Brady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Victoria's Secret ads always bother me. In an interview, the model used for the Superbowl ones said "See I don't get it, they like to make me wear the scanty under garments and put me in a white chair and blow a fan in my face... I don't get it!" oh please. Shut up. As if you don't get it.... -_-

    ReplyDelete