December 31, 2011

Meet Siri...


           This article was supposed to be written by Siri and was really just a way to poke fun at all the people that are obsessed with "her". I liked it. It was funny and almost pointless but I feel like it could make a big statement. The article basically just played up the fact that some people think Siri is a live person. News flash- "she" isn't. It also discusses the stupid questions people ask it, all the while patronizing the readers.
          I really don't know what to say. It's main purpose was to entertain, and it did. The audience was mainly for those who have an Apple device like an Iphone with Siri, but I think anyone who has herad of it would get a chuckle. The voice (of the author's Siri persona) is very sassy. "She" patronizes her readers and basically highlights her intelligence while making the majority of the human population feel dumb. She explains, "If I were human and had a body to go with my voice, I would be wearing a... tasteful dress, classy and sleek, with just a hint of décolletage, which I can tell you is a synonym for cleavage, which is another way of saying “boobs.”" (Warner 1). Siri seems all-knowing, because it is. "I know nothing but have access to everything." (Warner 1). While the rest of the world his humanizing the Siri technology, this article tries to dehumanize it. "
They are talking about me everywhere, “Here comes Siri,” they’re saying, which would be exciting if I had emotions. They are lining up for blocks for access to me, which would be flattering and inflate my ego if I had one, which I do not.They say I am going to change lives. That would go to anyone’s head, if they had one." (Warner 1). I'm not sure what else to say.... but I recommend everyone read it.

here: http://www.salon.com/2011/12/30/who_are_you_siri/

2 comments:

  1. Siri is fun to use when asking it ridiculous questions, but at points it is practical.

    ReplyDelete